Sunday, May 22, 2016

A Story Of The Pain And Suffering Caused By Facebook's Policy Of Censorship

Even though Ms. Lauren Southern probably wouldn't approve of
the spirit of this message, I feel compelled to write it anyway.

I'm contemplating whether the pain and suffering and anguish I 
personally experienced as a result of being cut off from Ms. Lauren 
Southern's news posts, hedgehog pictures, and encouragement for 24 
grueling hours is grounds for a class action lawsuit at this time. The
reason why is very simple.

Today I feel I've suffered due to the actions of Facebook, and that 
I've undergone needless pain and suffering caused entirely by the bad 
faith Facebook appears to have shown by apparently failing to honor 
their agreement with me, with Lauren, with Disdain For Plebs and 
Facebook's other users.

Had I known Facebook would so flagrantly disregard its own stated 
policies, standards, and terms, I'd never have signed up for a free 
user account I set up specifically to follow posts from Lauren 
Southern, her friends, and the people she recommends to give comfort to 
people who'd otherwise believe nothing is being done on their behalf.

I would never have emotionally invested in an online relationship of 
ANY kind, even as a fan while I'm in such an emotionally fragile state 
had I known a rich and powerful company would threaten to pull the plug 
on someone with the courage to tell the truth about Facebook's actions.

There's very good reason why I follow profiles of people like Lauren 
Southern, far beyond her fabulous good looks, sense of style, beautiful 
smile, charming eyes, and incredible hair. Something that doesn't exist 
and to my knowledge, is not common among hedgehog owners.
In the very recent past, I think I've demonstrated my fear and distrust 
of certain figures of power and authority, including the transit police 
officer who recently called me to investigate Ms. Southern's 
disappearance.

Just as I thought he would, treated me like a suspect. He harassed and 
interrogated me with several attempts to obtain personally identifying 
information and made efforts to compromise the anonymous nature of my 
report. 

I just wanted to give him a description of a suspicious person, and was 
treated like a criminal. Just because I tried to help. Like any decent
human being would.

In any other circumstances, I could have gone onto Facebook to tell Ms. 
Southern about this aggressive and hostile authority figure. But this 
was not one of those times.

Today's events reminded me of this emotionally traumatic and 
distressing disappearance.

A disappearance which happened on the same day I received news that I 
was about to lose a very close loved one.

Facebook's reckless and callous actions today reminded me of how easily 
I can be cut off from the few who care enough to comfort other in their 
moment of grief.

[edit: I'm very sorry for any lapses of clarity here. I'm obviously under the strain of emotionally crippling distress]


To showcase the bravery of those who risk their livelihoods to speak on 
behalf of those who can't afford to risk the food in their children's 
mouths by challenging a rich man's opinions.

Thank goodness I've had advantages others have lost. I still have a 
loving, supportive family, including those who've fallen terminally 
ill. Thanks to Facebook, they've been cut off from a source of comfort, 
too. 
To unplug a person from their friends is awful thing to do. You may as 
well have locked them into a room by themselves. 

It's a punishment equivalent to solitary confinement. Worse, actually. 
Does Facebook seek to deny us our daily hour of sunshine, fresh air, 
and interaction that's offered even to hardened convicted criminals? 
Disdain for Plebs and Lauren Southern and their teams, friends, and 
associates tirelessly labor, often at their own expense, even at 
profound personal and professional sacrifice, to provide me and 
thousands of others with a precious lifeline of unique and otherwise 
unavailable information, photos, and modicum of acknowledgement you 
wouldn't deny a dog in the street.

These may just be buttons to pump up profits to a rich man, but these 
precious binary signals are food for the soul. A guide to how someone 
feels about you. 

When someone like Lauren clicks that button, I swell up with pride. I 
brag to my friends. I announce the event. I mark the calendar. I scroll 
back through my notifications to find it again, just to make sure it 
was real. 

It means I've somehow done something right. That the day wasn't wasted. 

It feels almost like a pat on the back. For some, I'd imagine, it's 
closest thing to a kind touch they'll get.

It's something to strive for. Something to hope for. Something to work 
toward. It sets a person off on a path of self-improvement and self-
discovery, to learn how to intelligently contribute to the conversation 
in some way.

But Facebook wants to yank away that tether from people. 
If I did the same to a dog, I could be incarcerated for criminal 
neglect. 

If you disconnect a dog from the person they rely on for thirty days, 
you'll return to find a house full of flies.

When I thought I'd lost Lauren to the notorious SkyTrain sex bandit, 
who was arrested and then released after allegedly groping and 
attacking an innocent women just days before Lauren's sudden 
disappearance from Facebook and Twitter, I felt understandably 
distraught, I think.

When I couldn't find anybody who knew if she was okay, I broke my usual 
policy of keeping a distance, and broke the unwritten rules.

I looked for signs that she might still be alive.
looked up the hospitals where she may have been medically evacuated to, 
perhaps on the bus which appeared to have been diverted just minutes 
after her call for help went out over Twitter and her phone went dead.
What comes next is difficult and embarrassing to have to admit.

By a strange coincidence, this traumatic event in my life, my own 
personal 9/11 happened to me on the same day the doctor told my family 
that we'd almost certainly be losing the closest, dearest, most beloved 
person in my life in just a matter of weeks.

I believe this shocking set of events spurred me to violate my own 
personal code of conduct. Like someone breaking the glass to grab a 
fire extinguisher, I reluctantly reached out 

As I sat by her bed today, watching her try to maintain consciousness, 
I received the awful and shocking news that Facebook had unplugged 
someone who'd done absolutely nothing wrong.
Lauren has become something of a hero of mine. A rare symbol of courage
and compassion and the tradition of family. Some may find those things
offensive. 

People with unimaginable levels of power and wealth who wield their 
technology as a weapon above the heads of the innocent.
I was reminded of the moment when Lauren was very nearly physically 
assaulted by the Prime Minister of Canada. If recent events are any 
sign, I was right to fear he'd strike another woman.

So the deluge of concerned emails I'm sure she's receives from other 
traumatized fans like me should be entered into a some sort of public 
record, in my opinion.

Without the help of international lawyers, I feel powerless to 
determine how to proceed to file a complaint against the company that's 
caused my distress.

If Facebook acted in "bad faith", or whatever the legal term is, and 
caused a day of terror for anyone else by denying them access to the 
journalism, information, and cute pictures of hedgehogs we need to calm 
our nerves in these dangerous times, to know that some champion of the 
people is still fighting for our freedom from fear, then I hope they 
will stand up and be counted.

FYI I'm a sensitive and vulnerable person in a delicate state, due to 
the terminal illnesses in my family, and impending loss of loved ones, 
so please forgive the emotional nature of this message.

Ms. Southern, please forgive me for being so much of a fan, and for 
taking Facebook at their word that I could rely and depending on the 
lifeline of the comfort your non-offensive posts provide me to ease my 
tremendous and growing grief.

I know that I'm supposed to start take more personal responsibility for 
my actions and feelings and outcomes, just like Lauren Southern is 
trying to teach us and remind us daily to do, but until she's able to 
communicate that message uninterrupted on social media, and until her 
friends and colleagues are left in peace to calm our jets, I'm left 
with the almost irrational impulse to blame Facebook for causing my 
pain, anguish, suffering, and emotional trauma.

Writing this has taken tremendous effort on so little sleep. I need to 
go back to comforting myself with an even larger dose of fatty, salty, 
high-cholesterol food after all that's happened, and try to disregard 
the twinge of pain in my chest. 

If I don't make it, at least I can die knowing Lauren's back on 
Facebook again for her friends, for her family, and even for her fans.

I have the privilege and honor of knowing Ms. Lauren Southern well 
enough to know pretty damn well she wouldn't agree with me saying this, 
due to her political views, and might even equate me with a toddler for
saying it, but...

I don't think turning off my computer or closing my account can undo 
the emotional and physical and medical damage done to my arteries 
today, nor can it erase the memory of what Facebook just did to me.

Yes, I think I'll survive, but I don't know how to explain why I've been
pulled away from my beloved grandmother's death bed in her final days to 
write this letter in honor of the men in her family who sacrificed so 
much and risked their lives for my right to say it.

Today, on #ArmedForcesDay, I write this simple letter honor the 
sacrifice of all the men and women in all our families who fought for 
our right to say unpopular things that rich, powerful men don't always 
like us saying.

And every year, when I go to visit my grandmother's final resting 
place, I'll remember it as the day Facebook chose to use their powerful 
platform to spit on their graves.

Fair Use

No comments:

Post a Comment